Volunteer Code of Conduct
Thank you for volunteering with Destination Imagination, Inc. (DII). We are excited you have given your personal time to assist with running our program, so students learn creativity, teamwork and problem solving.
Our primary participants are teams that consist of young people, and we want to ensure they have the most positive experience while involved in the Destination Imagination programs and while showcasing their solutions. As such, we expect our volunteers to conduct themselves in a manner that positively represents our organization. Integrity must underlie all company relationships, including those with teams, customers, suppliers, communities, and among employees or volunteers.
- By signing below, you agree to abide by this Code of Conduct when volunteering with Destination Imagination, Inc. (DII):
- I will embrace the spirit of creativity, teamwork and problem solving as the core principles of DII.
- I will uphold the honesty, impartiality, and reputation of DII to prevent any disparagement or defamation to the organization or individuals.
- I know the core principles on which DII does business are mutual respect, fair dealing and open communication. This is the foundation for all of our transactions and interactions.
- I will conduct myself in a professional and sportsmanlike manner during all DII events, refraining from the use of obscene or vulgar language, and will speak to all participants in a respectful manner.
- I will refrain from interacting with any Destination Imagination team's Challenge by providing assistance, knowledge or other action that would be deemed as Interference.
- I will adhere to all appraisal, scoring and award procedures as outlined in official documentation and training.
- I will adhere to all safety and security rules, set forth by the Affiliate or Tournament Director, DI staff, and the team Program Materials, for all Tournaments and events.
- I will not use my position to seek personal gain or influence through the inappropriate use of information or abuse of my position.
- I will not engage in any activity that might create a conflict of interest for the company or for me individually.
- I will promptly report any illegal or unethical conduct to the appropriate authorities within DII.
- Retaliation against employees or volunteers who come forward to raise genuine concerns will not be tolerated.
- I understand and will comply with the above Code of Conduct.
By participation in an event by Affiliate, Region or other gathering related to the Destination Imagination program, the participant or participants' parents or participating guardian understands and hereby voluntarily agrees to release, waive, forever discharge, hold harmless, defend and indemnify Destination Imagination Inc., and their agents, officers, boards, volunteers, and employees from any and all liability and all claims, actions, or losses for bodily injury, property damage, wrongful death, loss of services, or otherwise which may arise out of the participant's participation in activities related to the Destination Imagination event, including travel to and from the event.
Trading Pin Policy
1. Affiliates and individuals are required to use Licensed Vendors to produce commercially made pins.
2. In order to participate in pin trading at the Global Finals Events, commercially produced pins, Affiliate, team or individually designed, must be made by a licensed vendor. Licensed Pin Vendors must work with Affiliates or individuals to create appropriate designs that do not violate relevant Copyright law.
3. It is the responsibility of the Licensed Vendor to ensure and communicate adherence to copyright laws. Only Affiliate pins may contain the name “Destination Imagination®,” the Destination Imagination, Inc. “box and ball” logo, or the Affiliate initials combined with DI without any space between them (i.e., NYDI). Affiliates must adhere to copyright laws when including their Affiliate initials combined with “DI,” hyphenated or without any space between them (e.g., NJ-DI, MADI, etc.). The use by teams and Individuals of the Destination Imagination, Inc.® name or any Destination Imagination, Inc. logos, including the “box and ball,” Global Finals or Challenge logos, is prohibited and will not be sanctioned or condoned by Destination Imagination, Inc.
a. Stock pins available on the open market for purchase are allowed.
b. Small amounts of handmade items, other than pins, produced by the team, are allowed for trade as long as these items do not contain any DII logos or trademarks.
4. There will be two kinds of Pin Vendor Licenses: Individual License and Multi/International License
a. An Individual License ($100) will allow a pin vendor located in a single Affiliate (state, province, country) to work with teams, individuals or the Affiliate within that area.
b. A Multi Affiliate/International License ($300) will allow a pin vendor to work with two (2) or more Affiliates, (states, provinces or countries) or teams/Individuals from multiple areas.
c. Multiple Affiliate/International Vendors will have the right to produce and sell challenge pins to Affiliates only.
d. Vendors will be responsible for ensuring that all pins produced adhere to relevant copyright law.
5. Licensed Pin Vendors will provide to DII (before Global Finals begins) two (2) of each pin produced for use in DISC sponsored events and Affiliate and general pin contests.
6. DII trademarks and logos cannot be placed on any pin with other logos unless the vendor has express written consent from each mark holder. A copy of written permission must be sent to DII for filing.
7. A list of Multi Affiliate/International pin vendors will be posted on the DII website.
8. Licensed Pin Vendors must include a stamp or watermark, such as the Vendor’s logo, name or initials, on the back of any and all pins created for Destination Imagination Affiliates, teams and individuals to indicate who produced the pin. This watermark is for identification purposes only and does not signify approval of the pin design. Vendors are still solely responsible for ensuring that all pins are legal and do not violate copyright laws or Destination Imagination, Inc. graphic use policies. Licensed Pin Vendors that do not include a stamp or watermark on the back of each pin created will not be in compliance and will be removed as a Licensed Pin Vendor for Destination Imagination, Inc.